Area : National/Remote
Description : Our client is a leading independent publisher of assessments that is on the verge of remarkable growth and change. They are seeking an experienced permissions and licensing professional to direct their Rights & Permissions department. Working closely with the Research and Development, Sales, IT, and Finance departments, this position will direct teams in driving licensing revenue to help unlock the potential of scientists and researchers around the world. The ideal candidate will have excellent interpersonal skills and have a keen eye for absorbing publishing agreements, permission authorizations, and other legal documents.
This is a remote position and the candidate can be located anywhere in the United States.
- Maintain and nurture the department’s operations as an essential hub of profit generation and intellectual property (IP) management.
- Develop and achieve a strategy for increasing various streams of domestic and international licensing revenue.
- Craft and negotiate publishing agreements and licensing contracts that meet the company’s legal and risk management requirements.
- Lead R&P staff to achieve the team’s licensing and contractual oversight objectives.
- Nurture relationships with existing international publishing partners and assist the development of standard cross-cultural test development practices with emerging test publishers throughout the world.
- Troubleshoot and resolve complex licensing matters, rights violations, and other major IP issues, and determine when to refer matters to counsel
- Serve as the main point person for IP-related tasks on product development plans and advise other department heads on IP and permissions considerations related to proprietary content.
- Consult with key stakeholders to assure that R&P policies and policy statements are current and reasonable to the needs of the test using community and determine when exceptions to policy are warranted.
- Coordinate author contract negotiations and resulting documentation between CEO/COO, Authors, counsel, and author counsel as needed.
- Support authors or their heirs with queries related to their contract, including permissions, royalties, and estate transfers.
- Collaborate with Sales and Customer Service in vetting and approving new international distributors of the company's publications
- Assist in vetting and securing 3rd party permissions and independent contractor agreements for the company's product and content development, across all media and channels.
- Available for occasional business travel.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant subject such as business, liberal arts, or a related comparable field, highly preferred.
- 7+ years related work experience is required, including at least 3+ years in a managerial or director role.
- Experience in publishing, copyright administration, education, healthcare, or similar field a plus.
- Proven team leadership in the areas of contractual management and international engagement.
- Demonstrable experience supervising and managing others including staff development, mentoring, coaching and performance reviews.
- Confident in providing direction and guidance in areas of intellectual property management.
- Excellent research capabilities and superior business writing talent.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and high emotional intelligence; ability to communicate effectively and efficiently with a wide variety of people across diverse cultures.
- Keen facility for managing contractual relationships and conducting business negotiations.
- Highly capable of reviewing business correspondence, reports, and legal documents with the ability to communicate and summarize their contents according to the intended audience
- Flexible, adaptable, and collaborates well under pressure.
- Demonstrated capacity to work on diverse, simultaneous projects of varying complexities.
- Large curiosity and enthusiasm to stay abreast of industry trends, key players, and emerging and potential licensing partners.
- Service-oriented, team player mentality, with a keen interest in mentoring and coaching others.
- Enjoys solving complex “puzzles”.
- Proficient with systems such as Microsoft Office and NetSuite.
Published : Feb 25, 2022